The Tax Collector is responsible for the billing, collection, reporting and enforcement of Municipal taxes for the Borough of West Cape May. As a Statutory Officer of the State of New Jersey, the Tax Collector is obligated to follow all the State Statutes regarding property tax collection including billing, due dates, interest on delinquent tax payments, and tax sale procedures.
- Tax bills are mailed in July and the 3rd quarter payment is due August 1st. If you have a mortgage company escrowing for taxes and they do not receive a copy of the tax bill from the Tax Office it is the owner’s responsibility to see that they get a copy.
- Taxes are due and payable quarterly on the first of February, May, August, and November. There is a 10-day grace period for each quarter. If payments are made after the grace period interest will be charged as of the due date. To pay a tax bill in full, add the four numbered stubs provided on the tax bill.
The State of New Jersey does not permit postmark. Taxes must be received in the Collector’s Office on or before the 10th. However, if the 10th falls on a weekend or Legal Holiday, you have until the next business day to make payment without interest.
- Interest will be charged at the rate of 8% per annum up to $1500.00 of the delinquency and 18% per annum over $1500.00 until taxes are current.
- Please notify Collector of Address change in writing using the form linked on our home page. Tax bills are to be forwarded upon sale of a property between buyer and seller. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve the owner from paying taxes. Interest will be applied to all late payments. Please contact our office if you need a copy of your tax bill.
- To receive a receipt for a payment, please include the entire tax bill with a stamped, self-addressed envelope. Otherwise, detach the appropriate stub and mail with your check. The cancelled check will be your receipt.
- $35.00 charge for checks returned by bank (in accordance with Resolution No. 157-16). The Borough does not redeposit returned checks.
- If you do not receive a tax bill, please contact the Tax Office.
PROPERTY TAX DEDUCTIONS
- Veterans, Senior Citizens, and Disabled Persons
Information can be found here: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/otherptr.shtml
- Senior Freeze (Property Tax Reimbursement)
Information can be found here: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/index.shtml
- Homestead Benefit
Information can be found here: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/homestead/geninf.shtml